It’s a new year and it’s time for some new ideas to help your family stay organized, healthy and most of all, spend more time together!
At momstown, we believe in making cooking simple and allowing for more time to do arts and crafts, homework and quality time with the kids playing! One way we ‘momstown moms’ love to create more balance in our lives, is with our faithful slow cooker!
Reasons I Love the Slow Cooker:
1. It can cook all day while I work!
2. It is a healthy and simple alternative on those crazy days when you rush to your kid’s programs and head for the drive thru.
3. My husband thinks I slaved over the stove…but I really went for a manicure while dinner was cooking!
4. It is one pot to clean!
5. My kids love to help with the prep work- it is easy and safe for them.
6. There are incredible recipes on Pinterest and spice packages in the grocery store to add to your own imagination!
Slow Cooker Hearty Chili
1 1/2 lbs (675 g) extra lean ground beef
2 cans (19 fl oz/540 ml each) mixed beans, drained, rinsed (I used 1 can of kidney beans and the other can of mixed white beans)
2 cups salsa
1 can (14 fl oz/398 ml) tomato sauce
2 Tbsp chili powder
1 onion, chopped
1 cup frozen corn, thawed, drained
1 cup Shredded Cheese
Brown meat; drain. Add to slow cooker with remaining ingredients except cheese; stir. Cover with lid
cook on low for 5-6 hours (or on high 3-4 hours)
Stir just before serving. Serve topped with cheese.
Shared but a momstown Burlington member
Other delicious momstown slow cooker meals: