Safe Face Painting for Halloween
Ghosts and goblins are not the only creepy things lurking around this Halloween… some of the ingredients used in cosmetics and face paint can be pretty frightening too.
Recent studies are showing that some children’s face paints contain lead (a neurotoxin that can harm the brain at low doses), as well as nickel, cobalt and chromium, which can cause lifelong skin sensitization and contact dermatitis. ?
What’s even scarier is that these dangerous ingredients are not being listed on labels. Because these metals are not shown on product labels, parents shopping for Halloween makeup have no way of knowing which products are safe. And, don’t be misled by claims of products being “hypoallergenic” and “FDA compliant.”
If you must use these products, follow these rules:
• Dab a bit of paint on the inside of your child’s forearm to check for allergies or reactions.
• Remove make up with water and mild soap.
• Avoid using old face paint. Smell it. If it smells bad, don’t use it. It could be contaminated with bacteria.
• Keep face paint away from eyes – it could cause an infection. Don’t use it near your child’s mouth – they could ingest it.
• Don’t leave paint on overnight.
Better yet, you can make your own face paint! Here’s an easy recipe with ingredients you probably have at home.
Materials for the paint:
• 1 tsp. Cornstarch
• 1/2 tsp. Cold cream
• 1/2 tsp. Cold water
• Food coloring
Mix the ingredients together and paint away! Use cold cream or mild soap to wash off the face paint.
For more Halloween Fun visit: www.toronto4kids.com/Family-Fun.