My mom would be so proud of these cabbage rolls. My mother was the cabbage roll baker in the family until her passing last August, and I am not sure if any of my siblings have been trying their hand at making a batch. Now my mom never would of used a slow cooker for her recipe, but I am all about the slow cooker and especially in this heat, no one wants to be using an oven let alone being indoors cooking.
I put these cabbage rolls together first thing in the morning and let them do their slow cook thing and they were awesome Saturday night. We are eating up the leftovers tonight with an added jar of sauerkraut, just to really make them just like mom would of.
- 12 leaves cabbage – it takes a large head to get 12 nice size leaves
- 1 cup cooked white rice – use instant, easier
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 pound extra-lean ground beef – or a combination of beef and pork (which is what I did this time)
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce – I actually used a jar of bruschetta topping
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil cabbage leaves 2 minutes; drain.
- In large bowl, combine 1 cup cooked rice, egg, milk, onion, ground beef, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Place about 1/4 cup of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf, and roll up, tucking in ends. Place rolls in slow cooker seams down.
- In a small bowl, mix together tomato sauce, brown sugar, lemon juice, and Worcestershire sauce. Pour over cabbage rolls.
- Cover, and cook on Low 8 to 9 hours.
Yep this is a keeper recipe, hubby gave lots of praise. And they even looked just like mom’s. But the slow cooker made for nice clean-up and no hot oven house. Thanks Mom!