Straight from the 2012 New York Toy Fair come some of the hottest and coolest toy and game trends for the year ahead. There seemed to be something for everyone whether you’re into tech toys, tween toys or looking for the latest upcoming game or doll. Take a look and see what we found! Let us know which is your favorite!
1. Symphony by B. Toys from Battat: Kids get to be conductors by choosing the song and the instruments that play it to create beautiful music. Add the violin piece into the center stage and the song plays with the violin. Next, add-in the trumpet and the same song plays with both instruments! Add or remove and experiment to see what symphony you can create! What a great toy for young children who love music (OK, we admit, we’re all grown-ups here and we loved playing with this one too!)
2. Café Barista by Step2: Kids love to play “kitchen” when they’re little – it’s great for their imaginative play skills and so they can feel just like Mommy or Daddy. This adorable set will have your little one making you coffees, cappuccinos, lattes and more! They may not be real, but it’s the pretending that counts! And Mom & Dad can always run to the kitchen later to make the real stuff, right?
3. Switch & Go Dino line by VTech: These awesome dino’s “wowed” every little boy in sight… and young-at-heart boy too! What could be more cool than a dinosaur that transforms into a car that makes sounds and has a digital LED display where kids can choose a face for their driver or dinosaur?! It’s the ultimate toy for toddlers who are not quite ready for the sophisticated transformers but who are loving dinosaurs and cars.
4. Brobo and his robot friends are unique, high-quality plush toys that are so soft, cuddly and adorable! Just rub their hand on their belly and the light turns on as a “Shine Force” to scare away any night time freights the child might be having. Watch your children get braver at bedtime now that they have this buddy to keep them company.
5. Marvin’s Magic tricks and sets are out of this world amazing! They make simple tricks that kids as young as 4 all the way up to more complex tricks that teens and even adults would love. Impress friends and family and put on a show once you’ve learned some tricks but be careful not to share the secrets! A magician never tells!
6. Blunders and Manner Mats by Patch Products: We love how these each help to teach children table manners in a way they can actually have fun and get interactive. It really helps to take the nagging out of dinner time. The mats even make a great take-along to a restaurant! Why not? Before you know it they’ll be saying their “please” and “thank you’s” for passing the bread. Blunders is a game that also teaches manners the fun way – what could be better than having fun and learning at the same time?
7. 7 Habits of Happy Kids by Educational Insights: This company had so many amazing products it was tough to choose just one, but we really love this one and think you will too! It’s a playful way to introduce, practice, and promote 7 kid-friendly principles of personal happiness. Everyone wants their kids to be happy! This makes a great family game.
8. Spuzzle by GameBrotherZ: This game is a PTPA Award winner that was a HUGE hit with younger children who want to play a board game. If they love puzzles, they will love Spuzzle! Whoever finishes their puzzle in the game first, wins! It’s great for learning. What’s extra-fun about this product is that the makers recently announced that they’ve just started a 2-year partnership with DreamWorks which will be an exciting Madagascar 3 movie themed version of Spuzzle! We can’t wait!
9. Dicecapades by Haywire Group Inc.: If you love games, you’ll love this one! It’s an all-ages dice-based game the whole family is going to want to play. With over 100 dice, this game has trivia, drawing, word and number play, physical challenges and did we mention a TON of dice?! For ages 12 and up, this game has so many possibilities for fun that there’s no way you’ll save it for a rainy day. It’s just too much fun to keep in the closet!
10. PathWords by Thinkfun: One of the coolest spelling games around! With Tetris themed colorful pieces, they won’t even realize they’re learning – they’re having way too much fun! They’ll search for words which can appear backwards or forwards. It’s a great game for both puzzle and game lovers with levels ranging from Beginner to Expert.
11. Monstaz by Ty: From the amazing company that makes Beanie Babies come these new fuzzy, round friends called Monstaz! Squeeze their “Luv me” heart to hear their funny babbling sounds. They come in a couple different sizes – the one sitting here in our offices is about 8″ in diameter with big beautiful green eyes and a happy smile on her face. Staying true to the Ty line of products, these Monstaz have beanie bottoms. Collect them all!
12. La Di Da by SpinMaster Toys: We were so excited to find out that we were able to give Global’s The Morning Show a sneak peek at these adorable new fashion dolls! They’re expected to hit the shelves of the toy stores near you this Fall. Wearing up-to-date fashions, these stylish girls love to dress-up. Young girls love that they can really brush their hair! Perfect for young girls and tweens.
13. Cody Simpson singing doll by The Wish Factory: Just saying his name brings screams of happiness from tween girls from all over the world. Now they will be able to bring him along with them wherever they go. Fans of this sensational young singer are in love with his new doll – press his tummy and he’ll sing for you!
14. Mogo Charm Bracelets: Collect and trade these gorgeous magnetic charms! Girls will love being able to switch-up their necklaces, bracelets, etc. as if they have a new piece of jewellery to wear every day! Tween girls love these.
15. Charm-It Bracelets by High Intencity: If you’re looking for some of the cutest charms in the market with dozens and dozens of charm options to suit your tween or teen girl’s personality, you’ve found what you’re looking for. Every year they release new and exciting charms so your collection never has to end! These make perfect gifts.
16. Glitter Tattoo Kit from Glimmer Body Art: What tween girl doesn’t love the idea of decorating themselves with glitter tattoos? Don’t worry parents, it’s harmless and they wash off! The great thing about them is that they last around 5 – 7 days and are so easy to use. These kits make the perfect sleep-over even more fun!
17. Blingoo Inkoos by The Bridge Direct: If you know any tween who loves to be creative and still secretly loves all their plush toys (yes, most do but they don’t always want to show it), they’re going to LOVE this adorable Blingoo Inkoo! They start off white and come with markers and glitter glue and even stick-on colorful gems so they can decorate and bling them up until their heart’s content. Wait for the best part – give them a wash and they can start all over!
18. Color Freedom by Style Me Up: This line of gorgeous products allow girls to design their very own creations from wallets to purses and backpacks! Each kit comes with markers so you can get started right away. We love how this helps tween girls show off your fun and funky personalities from the colors they choose to make their product unique and truly theirs.
19. Jewellery by Orbeez: Also a PTPA Award winning product, Orbeez is now in jewellery! The tiny pellets absorb water and end up 100 times their original size! Use the Jewellery Maker to turn each into a soft, bouncy, colorful and squishy round ball just under a centimeter in diameter. These can now be made then encased into the clear shaped jewellery pendants. Kids love Orbeez and girls love jewellery. We love how they can make and play with these over and over again!
20. Mush-A-Belly Chatter by Jay@Play: These plush cuties take apps to a whole new level for kids. They’re interactive and you wouldn’t believe it the apps is 3D! Use your iPad or iPod, download the app and your little one will be amazed and will have fun too! Mush on the plush character’s belly to hear their sounds!
21. Ipad Cover from Fisher Price: Who’s little one loves playing with their iPad? I think I just saw your hand go up. That means this is for you! Kids can drool and dribble all over the screen and it will still stay safe thanks to the screen protector. There’s even an option to block the home button to prevent unwanted activities. There are free learning apps included that are geared towards children as young as 6 months! Yes, it’s young, but you would be surprised at how quickly they catch on to these things and enjoy them, too!
22. HappiTaps by Infantino: Here’s a snuggly, plush, interactive teddy bear that’s perfect for ages 12 months and up. The plush portion covers up your iPod or iPhone to keep it safe from your little one while they’re playing with your toy… I mean important communications device. This even comes with a free app your child is sure to love! Go ahead, let them play!
23. GameChanger Game Board for iPad or iPod: This is a really neat innovative electronic game board which offers a completely new way to play board games – using your iPod or iPad! Families can sit around and play together in a way they’ve never done before.
Want to see more of these products and watch our Founder and CEO Sharon Vinderine talk about each one on Global’s The Morning Show? Click here to watch a clip of the episode!